From: Paoshan Yue <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:20:36 +0000
Subject: RE: Accessibility of licensed databases?

Greetings,

I received two direct responses, pasted below.  (The authors are ok with
posing them on the list.)  I also posted the same question on the ERIL
listserv and the discussion is not over yet.  If you are not on the ERIL
list and would like to know what’s shared there, email me off-list and I
will send the email thread to you when the discussion is over.

So far, we have just done some preliminary research and networking with our
Disability Resource Center (DRC) on campus.  DRC suggested that we begin by
asking our vendors for their VPAT (voluntary product assessment tool) form.
 Then they (DRC staff) can help us evaluate those forms and examine our
online resources (mostly by using JAWS software).  This sounds like it will
be a big help to us.  We will find out more as we continue to work on this
project.

* Amy Dumouchel @ Boston College:

“I did some of this at my previous institution. The LibGuide with my
documentation is still up, including a list of databases that claimed to be
either in compliance with ADA requirements for screenreaders, or met the
W3C requirements -- most international ones looked to the W3C instead of
the ADA.  Hopefully it is of some use to you as a starting point:

http://suffolk.libguides.com/content.php?pid=321027&sid=2627737

This project was prompted by complaints of a specific student regarding the
usability of our resources with screenreaders.  He did also comment
"compliant does not necessarily mean user friendly."”

Paoshan’s follow-up question: How long did it take you to prepare that
guide?

Amy: “I do not entirely remember, partly because it was some time ago, and
partly because I did it in parts.  I began by creating a spreadsheet of our
database vendors, and searched for online statements about accessibility.
 If I did not find one, I contacted them.  That part was somewhat
intermittent, but took maybe a day or so of real work. After we met with
the Office of Disability Services, it was decided that making public lists
would be helpful, and that was where I took the data in my spreadsheet and
converted it to a Libguide. I think the construction of the Libguide then
probably added up to one full work day, spread across roughly one week.”

* Karry Jones:

“You might want to contact the Disabilities Coordinator or Disability
Services (or some such title) at your institution.  They might already have
this info, or they can post to the disabilities listserv (assuming they
subscribe to them) with this question and I bet you'd get some good

Regards, Paoshan