From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 14:32:11 -0400

Dear liblicense-l list members:  Our colleague Peggy Hoon (lawyer and scholarly communications librarian at North Carolina Charlotte, and a long-time advocate for libraries in so many ways) has written -- after certain postings, which thoughtlessly invoked the old Shakespearean tag "kill all the lawyers" -- to remonstrate in the strongest possible terms against that sort of propagation of the language of violence and bias.  When I read her note, I realized that of course she is right.  What might still pass as blustering jocularity among friends has no place on a serious discussion list.  I wholeheartedly apologize for sending through these quotations, and I go away sobered, wiser, and regretful.

Additionally, she wrote this:
I am fairly certain that most librarians are happily ignorant, as they are in so many legal areas, of the rigorous ethical standards lawyers are held to both in their initial law exams, even having the right/opportunity to take the bar (must get affidavits regarding moral turpitude) and constant yearly ethical continuing education credits in order to remain in practice.)  Thank you for your willingness to pass my concerns on.

As one who values the work of the lawyers in our scholarly communications realm, I express thanks to Peggy for a sharp and necessary wakeup call.  And now back to the business of simplifying licenses, which is no small task.  Even though it may at times seem hopeless, it's a worthy undertaking.  (See Peggy's bio at: http://www.educause.edu/members/peggy-hoon)

Ann Okerson