From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:42:35 +0000

Rick

Yes, it does appear that authors can share their pre-prints widely (with some caveats based on individual journals):

http://www.elsevier.com/about/company-information/policies/sharing

My personal view is that having access to preprints is better than having access to nothing, but not as good as having access to the final manuscript. For some readers I’m sure just having access to the pre-print will be sufficient.  And we know that there is great reluctance in some subject areas to sharing preprints - in those cases Elsevier’s new policy will definitely reduce overall sharing.

David