From: Oya Rieger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Warm greetings from Cornell. We are truly grateful for your continuing
support of  arXiv.

I am writing to inform you that we’ll run a brief online fund raising
campaign next month to explore ways to raise additional funds.  As we
described in our last annual update, the current business model is
working well, sponsoring arXiv’s baseline maintenance costs with
support from 183 member libraries, the Simons Foundation, and Cornell
University Library.  This pilot will assess whether a give button
placed prominently on arXiv’s web pages will garner additional
resources from the program’s active and supportive user base.  We also
want to explore potential impediments.

We have an appreciative group of users and often receive inquiries
about how individuals and organizers who do not qualify for the
membership program could make a financial contribution to arXiv.  The
Give option will enable us to support such requests.

Stewardship of resources such as arXiv involves not only covering the
operational costs but also continuing to enhance their value based on
the needs of the user community and the evolving patterns and modes of
scholarly communication. It is essential to raise additional funds in
order to fund new initiatives that are beyond the routine operational
work.  More information about the pilot is available in the arXiv FAQ:
http://arxiv.org/help/support/faq

We thank you for your support and welcome your suggestions and questions.

With kind regards,

Oya

On behalf of the Cornell University Library arXiv Team

Oya Y. Rieger, Ph.D.
Associate University Librarian
Scholarly Resources & Preservation Services
arXiv Program Director
Cornell University Library
http://vivo.cornell.edu/display/individual23129