From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 15:49:22 -0700

This interesting note crossed my screen today:

http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/past/john-bossy.html

Past and Present is a stellar journal -- career-making to have a
couple of articles in it; and Bossy was a path-breaker and innovator
and very distinguished scholar.  I like to see this because I worry
that scholars are only slowly realizing that if they want their own
work to be known and read and influential when they are retired or
gone, making sure paper copies are in libaries and paperbacks are
available for sale form a good university press just won't do it.
Even a Bossy isn't going to make much money for his estate when dead,
and certainly not from P&P articles, so better to work out the way to
make the scholar known and visible and discoverable.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU