From: Michael Magoulias <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 22:43:16 +0000

So much to ponder here.

"Copyright is not a god-given natural right." Well, I'm not a lawyer and
only an amateur theologian, but I'm pretty sure that Article 1 of the
Constitution is quite explicit about copyright as a right. The Constitution
is as close to God as you can get in the US -- at least as long as we
confine ourselves law and politics and can resist the temptation to appeal
to the metaphysical insights of the late Tammy Faye Bakker.

Then, I fail to see how confining a discussion of copyright to the
nineteenth century is a knock-down argument for its abolition or "radical"
reformation in the 21st. Hey, I think looking at the history of anything is
worth doing, but you might as well look at the whole history. And if you
are going to use only a part of the past as a way of undermining something
in the present, you need to spend a lot more time on what's wrong with the
present and how directly past practice can be held accountable. It's even
more dubious to use a past state of affairs to justify wrongdoing in the
present. This is not so much using history as abusing it.

Michael