From: Jessica Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 12:20:26 -0800

Thank you to all who responded to the public performance rights (PPR)
questions! Here's the summary of responses:

*How does your library keep track of DVDs with PPRs?*

Excel - 2
Printouts kept in a folder - 2
Online catalog, bib record field - 3
Order record - 3
ERM licensing module - 2

Janet Morrow from Northeastern University mentioned that they add a note to
the 540 field if a video is not available for PPR: “RESTRICTED to classroom
instructional showings and home use only; no club/student activities use”

Lisa Mobley from Cornell sent a very helpful link to their PPR procedures,
which were created by staffer Jesse Koennecke.

*Does your library keep a copy of all agreements? What about passive or
click-through PPR agreements (are they printed out/saved as a PDF)?*

Only the licenses that require a signature are tracked - 2
All licenses are kept - 2
PPR licenses are not kept - 1

If a selector requests PPR for a DVD you already own that does not have the
rights, do you re-purchase the DVD with PPR included or ask the vendor to
add PPR to the purchased DVD for an additional cost?

Easier to just buy new DVD - 2

Stephanie Towery from TSU added: “In an effort to prevent duplication and
to purchase for institutional-use in the first place, we do take a little
time to seek out

Institutional pricing when purchasing educational, documentary, etc. DVDs.
When purchasing another copy of a video title, I will mention to the vendor
that we currently own it on VHS or DVD or have leased streaming or whatever
is applicable. This will often lead to a discounted price.”

*Do you try to purchase all DVDs with PPR - or only when PPR is
specifically requested?*

Looks into pricing options for each DVD & then decides - 1
No, only when requested - 1

What we're doing: At SCU, we're still working on our procedures, but have
decided to add a 500 note with standard language to bib records of DVDs
with PPR. We may eventually move this to a 540 field, but we're not
indexing this field at the moment, so PPR rights would not be searchable in
the catalog. Our acquisitions staff will add a note to the order record
when an item was purchased with PPR & she'll also add it to a shared Google
Sheet. The order record note alerts our cataloger to add this field to the
record when the item arrives. The Google Sheet will send me an alert, which
notifies me to create a license record in our ERM for the provider & then
soft-link the DVDs order record to the license record (we use Innovative's
ERM).

Thank you all again for your responses. Have a wonderful weekend!

------
Jessica Harris, Head of Electronic Resources & Serials
Santa Clara University Library
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053
(408) 554-5356