From: Rusty Speidel <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:57:58 -0400

What if ORCID could be used as the access standard? Authenticated users
within a subscriber institution can access the content from any device,
anywhere. Control of the access to your own data is a fundamental principle
of ORCID <https://orcid.org/about/what-is-orcid/principles>: "Researchers
control the defined visibility settings of their own ORCID record data."

So...it could be used to authenticate access, but not necessarily cede
control over identity to the publisher.

Rusty Speidel
Marketing Director
Center for Open Science