From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 09:10:29 -0700

The Chronicle of Higher Education today has results of an extensive survey of University Press leaders and others on the vexed future of that community.  The following link takes you to the landing page for the feature, but that comprises only a list of links to sub-topics, most of which are paywalled.  Worth an exploration if you have access.  Their introduction:  "We asked publishers, press directors, editors, scholars, and other insiders for their views on the state and future of academic publishing. Of the people we contacted, including the heads of nearly every one of the Association of American University Presses’ 143 members, 46 sent back responses to our questions. We got back a surprisingly wide range of views — and good ideas on how university presses are preparing for an uncertain future."

At the end of a quarter century of attending meetings and reading articles discussing the crisis in University Press publishing, I observe that for there to be still 143 players standing in that space suggests that
something is working.  There must be some smart people doing some good work.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU​