From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 01:34:10 +0100
Subject: Re: Librarian behind list of 'predatory' publishers still faces
harassment online
So we have got to the point where any criticism of Beall's arbitrary list
is classed by some as harassment. I'm afraid I find that rather a pity

David

From: Michael Magoulias <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 02:53:33 +0000

Really, the standard of discourse needs to be higher than this. People are
turned down for tenure all the time because of poor publication history,
and "poor" in this context means any journal that has earned itself a
reputation for low quality, regardless of "business model."  Calling a
journal "predatory" is simply giving another twist to the knife, but the
wound was invariably self-inflicted to begin with.

But of course I'm begging the question here because no evidence has been
produced regarding which journals were mislabeled as predatory and which
scholars were damaged as a result. I see no reason why this assertion
should be taken at face value. It's merely hearsay and gossip at this
point. It would be foolish and unethical to claim this as a basis for
acknowledging "that Beall's whims had negative consequences." Such a
statement constitutes its own form of harassment.

What goes unperceived by Beall's detractors is the positive impact his list
had in preventing scholars from getting scammed by the most unscrupulous
members of his list. In this sense it provided an important and hygienic
function for those trying to navigate an increasingly disordered journal
environment.

As someone whose day job is publishing journals, I had numerous occasions
to consult Beall's list, and also corresponded with him about its contents.
I can't claim to have gone thoroughly through all or even most of its
contents, but I never found anything that looked like it didn't belong, nor
did any of my communications suggest the slightest degree of whimsy on
Beall's part. It was all practical, rigorous editorial judgement.

In hindsight, perhaps he should have issued a trigger warning for the more
vulnerable souls and egos.

Michael Magoulias
Director, Journals
University of Chicago Press