From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:16:36 +0100

Hi David

I accept almost everything you say. What I was writing was partly tongue in cheek - especially about the ACS.

Yes indeed we both worked at different times for the same major university press and one could say more but I am not going to except to point out that the main role of the university vis-à-vis that university press might be seen as extracting as much money as possible from it.

The current UK government does not represent my beliefs  but I do have a vote and I can and do campaign to change it.

So can members of learned societies. They can campaign for change in the publishing policy of their publishing arm. Sometimes they do. They are representative of the community that belongs to them and these members are almost certainly the majority of researchers in that discipline and that country

Anthony