From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:23:33 -0500

Just curious how many librarians share the view of Ms. Elbakyan that communism should govern relationships in the academy and that capitalism has no place in scholarship.  For her property is theft, so copyright protection is ipso facto immoral.

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. Kevin Hawkins has provided a link to the video interview that she gave during the UNT conference on open access in the comments to Joe's piece.

From: "Baumle, Christopher J. (ELS-PHI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:58:42 +0000

Joe Esposito answers these questions, and more, in his very
informative post on Scholarly Kitchen:

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2017/06/27/even-sci-hub-management-headaches/?informz=1

Chris

From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:51:40 +0000

Reading the Nature article I see:

"The defendants' "unlawful activities have caused and will continue to
cause irreparable injury to Elsevier, its customers and the public,"
Elsevier's New York-based attorneys, DeVore & DeMarco, told the
court."

I can understand how one might make a case for harm to the publisher
(although proving it might be tricky) - but I'm struggling to think
what the case might be for harm to customers and the public. Am I
missing something obvious?

David