From: Richard Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:53:05 -0400

Friends,

As the director of Georgetown University Press I want to remind this list
that Sci-Hub and Library Genesis are equal opportunity pirates--they harm
not just Elsevier, but nonprofit university presses, too. Aside from
instigating massive security breaches at many of our universities, Sci-Hub
and Library Genesis have illegally posted content that we need to sell in
order to serve the academy and society and remain financially viable. We
know researchers need easier and cheaper access to content with appropriate
technological tools, and we're working toward that; I don't know of a
single publisher, university press or otherwise, who isn't. And while there
are many significant differences between commercial publishers and
Georgetown University Press--I won't speak for my peers--Sci-Hub and
Library Genesis have damaged our ability to fulfill our fundamental mission
of disseminating knowledge. I applaud the decision.

Richard Brown

​
Richard Brown, PhD
Director