From: Richard Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:53:05 -0400

Friends,

As the director of Georgetown University Press I want to remind this list that Sci-Hub and Library Genesis are equal opportunity pirates--they harm not just Elsevier, but nonprofit university presses, too. Aside from instigating massive security breaches at many of our universities, Sci-Hub and Library Genesis have illegally posted content that we need to sell in order to serve the academy and society and remain financially viable. We know researchers need easier and cheaper access to content with appropriate technological tools, and we're working toward that; I don't know of a single publisher, university press or otherwise, who isn't. And while there are many significant differences between commercial publishers and Georgetown University Press--I won't speak for my peers--Sci-Hub and Library Genesis have damaged our ability to fulfill our fundamental mission of disseminating knowledge. I applaud the decision.

Richard Brown

Richard Brown, PhD
Director
Georgetown University Press