From: Julie Therizols <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:26:46 +0200

New Features, New Publishers and Growth

Growth and new publishers

We now have over 8000 books from over 200 publishers listed in DOAB. We are happy to say DOAB consistently features among the fastest growing OA resources in the blog post on ‘Dramatic Growth of Open Access’ by Heather Morrison in The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics. This year DOAB features as number one and two in growth by percentage, with a 68% growth for books and 40% for publishers in the past year.
Since the start of 2017, we have added 50 new publishers to DOAB. An important contribution to this year’s growth is thanks to our cooperation with OpenEdition, who added the OA books of 26 new publishers, among others: Presses Sorbonne Nouvelle, Presses universitaires d'Aix-Marseille and Presses universitaires de Rennes. Other new publishers listed in DOAB in 2017 are: LIBRUM Publishers, University of North Texas Press, Edition Open Access, Carl Grossmann Verlag, Heidelberg University Publishing and through our cooperation with SciELO: Editus and Editora UEPG.

New features DOAB: chapter level metadata and ONIX import

DOAB is taking part in a European Horizon 2020 project (HIRMEOS), to develop a certification service for OA book publishers. As part of this project, new features are being added to DOAB. It is now possible to distinguish between chapters and books. A chapter is clearly indicated at the publication’s record. Also, funder information is now included in the metadata. Have a look at this example of a chapter where both additions are in place.
Another important new feature of DOAB is the possibility for publishers to get their publications and metadata indexed in DOAB through ONIX XML import. If you are a publisher in DOAB and would like to know more about ONIX import, please contact our technical coordinator Ronald Snijder.

FWF certifies DOAB sponsor De Gruyter as publisher for open access books

Researchers affiliated with FWF (Austrian Science Fund), who choose to publish their research output in pure open access with DOAB publisher and sponsor De Gruyter, can have publication costs fully covered by FWF.

The program helps authors focus on their research, while paperwork and payments are processed jointly by the FWF and the publisher.

The offer applies to articles, books and book chapters, provided the main/corresponding author’s Institution is affiliated with the FWF.

All open access books published by De Gruyter are indexed by DOAB.

OAPEN deposit service and compliancy list for publishers

The OAPEN Library hosts books and chapters in open access and works with several funders to host long-text publications resulting from the research they fund. Authors and publishers can deposit relevant research publications directly in the OAPEN Library.
The service is intended for books and chapters based on research funded by OAPEN’s partners: the European Research Council, Wellcome, and the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).

The deposit service is available in a special section of the OAPEN website:
http://www.oapen.org/content/deposit-service
For authors of publications based on ERC funded research, a separate section with additional ERC specific information has been set up:
http://www.oapen.org/content/erc-deposit
Publishers and authors can deposit their book or chapter online by filling in the deposit form and, for ERC, the ERC deposit form.

As part of the deposit service for OA books and chapters, OAPEN has introduced a list of book publishers that comply with the OA requirements of the ERC, Wellcome and FWF. OAPEN’s goal is to inform researchers about compliant publishers, but also to encourage publishers to adjust their policies so that they become compatible with funders’ requirements.

The list with the first publishers that have joined can be found here:
http://oapen.org/content/deposit-publishers-list-compliant-book-publishers.
Publishers who wish to join the list can do so by filling in a form on the OAPEN website:
http://oapen.org/content/deposit-publishers-join-list.

For more information, please contact Eelco Ferwerda, director of the OAPEN Foundation,
[log in to unmask]+31(0)629565168.