From: David Shumaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 09:30:55 -0400

Joe--

I have a couple comments:

1. Academic librarians will continue to strengthen their engagement in the teaching mission of the university -- applying their unique information-related competencies, collaborating with the subject faculty, and providing various forms of guidance, consultation, and mentoring to students at all levels.

2. Librarians will have various roles in the research and publication process, from data management to publishing and repository management. The exact nature of these roles will evolve with the publication system itself. Heather Joseph has characterized this future as librarians working "inside out" -- exposing the institution's knowledge to the outside world -- a reversal of the traditional librarian's "outside-in" focus, collecting the world's information for the benefit of the institution. See my interview with her published last year in Information Today:  http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/NewsBreaks/Librarians-Working-Inside-Out-An-Open-Access-Week-Interview-114311.asp .

3. Jim O’Donnell has shared some key strategic directions at Arizona State in my recent interview with him, at http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/NewsBreaks/Everything-for-Everybody-Everywhere-A-Conversation-with-James-ODonnell-119466.asp

--Dave Shumaker

Catholic University of America