From: Don Beagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 10:48:04 +0000

Given the broad scope of ALA's upcoming Symposium on the Future of Libraries, this might be an opportune time & place to note that 2018 will mark the 40th anniversary of the occasion when sci-fi author and futurist Isaac Asimov accepted an invitation to address the Governor's Conference on Libraries in NC's Research Triangle. His topic, "Of Past & Future Libraries," effectively foreshadowed the remarkable changes over the next four decades. That was the 1st conference I attended in my 1st year out of grad school, so I carefully preserved my audiocassette of his talk over intervening years. Now converted to a digital audio file, we've just posted it online as the first entry in our new Digital Humanities Project LibGuides page at Belmont Abbey College.

While Asimov in 1978 accurately anticipated the potential of innovations like modulated lasers over optical fiber and the essential role of a worldwide computer network to cope with knowledge growth & information overload, it is also interesting to note how his vision as a futurist was shaped by models dominant in his day. His view of a worldwide library-based computer network was clearly shaped by the centralized mainframe / terminal paradigm, and for the most part, did not anticipate the sort of participatory peer networking we all take for granted. But even those "misses" can be instructive to us now in trying to anticipate where we might go from here.

For any interested listeners:
http://belmontabbeycollege.libguides.com/dighumanities/asimov

--Don

Donald Beagle