From: Mary Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:10:04 +0000

The publisher just realized they can make more money by breaking off that archive and selling access separately. What’s odd is that it didn’t happen sooner! What’s bad is that they didn’t alert you.

I had another one do the same, but it was a number of years ago. When that publisher first began offering online access they included all they had available, which went way back. At that time they were just working out the platform and getting content added. However, once they had the content loaded and were more experienced with sales they realized the archive was a potential treasure chest. We got the word that with the next renewal it would only cover access for more current years and that the back file was available for purchase. Hard on the budget!

The subscriptions I bought early on didn’t say they were selling us all the back content permanently. Our only “owned” access for any online title has been the single years we actually subscribed plus the back files we purchased.

Thanks,

Mary Peters

Medical Library Manager

Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children

Dallas, TX 75219

214-559-7875