From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 18:30:00 -0700

New journal article in *The Serials Librarian, *by Sidney Eng of Hostra
University Library, "The Library Profession in the Time of Open Access":
http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/fmKErCJ8TJtKrAZ58eki/full   The article
offers a thoughtful and nonpolemical review of the state of play with
particular reference to the question whether librarians risk putting
themselves out of business by supporting creation of a world in which
ideally everything is notionally available in a transparent, frictionless
economy.  To transpose to a familiar metaphorical world, do we risk going
the way of buggy-whip salespeople, or do we become as essential in the new
information economy as in the old.  Worth reading.

Jim O'Donnell
Arizona State University