From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:30:27 -0400

Dear colleagues and friends on the Liblicense-L list:

In slightly over twenty years (!) with the Liblicense-l list, we've seen
it all, but not quite like this.  From Monday morning this week until
today, this list-serving program used by our hosts at the Center for
Research Libraries was getting 3-6 messages per minute from a probably
Chinese spammer addressed to this list.  That works out to something
like 5,000 to 7,000 messages per day.  The spammer was clever enough
that it took a couple of days to stop the flood -- and in the meantime
your moderator felt like the sorcerer's apprentice at the point when
the music was getting really loud and busy!

Things have calmed now, but we wanted to alert you in the event that
you sent a message to the list since the beginning of the week, one that
hasn't been posted.  We don't think anything got lost, but something
could have.

And let me express huge thanks to colleagues at CRL, particularly the
wizard of all technology there, Patricia Xia (plus Bing Hui & Moises
Gamez) for their patience and assistance in getting through this.
And, as always, our thanks to readers and posters for continuing
to make these conversations stimulating, memorable, and useful.

Ann Okerson
Moderator, Liblicense-L