From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 19:02:49 -0500

Just curious: under the third rubric, what is to prevent any authorized
user of
the content from sharing it with anyone else in the world? Wouldn't this
amount
to setting up every individual user as a mini-Sci-Hub? Is there contract
language that prohibits this? And, if so, how is it enforced?

Sandy Thatcher

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 07:27 PM LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>From: October Ivins <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 15:12:58 -0400
>
>Over the last two years attendees of the Charleston Conference have been
>hearing about* The Charlotte Initiative for Permanent Acquisition of
>E-books by Academic Libraries*, a Andrew W. Mellon funded research grant to
>study the current state of e-books in the academic market. At the heart of
>the project are three core principles proposed for e-book licenses:
>
>   - Provision of irrevocable perpetual access and archival rights.
>   - Allowance for unlimited simultaneous users.
>   - Freedom from any Digital Rights Management (DRM), including (but not
>   limited to) use of proprietary formats, restricted access to content, or
>   time-limited access terms.
>
>The last two years have brought many changes to the ever-evolving academic
>e-book market and now that the project is coming to a close, participants
>of the grant would like to share their findings and help continue the
>conversations around the e-books.
>
>To this end, we offer a free symposium to Charleston Conference attendees.
>The symposium will focus on possible solutions, including evolving business
>models and publisher feedback to the principles and will present highlights
>from the four research team findings.
>
>Please join us:
>
>   - When: Monday, November 6th 1:00 – 4:00pm
>   - Where: Courtyard Marriot, Grand Cypress Ballroom
>
>Registration for this event is outside of the general Charleston Conference
>registration so please register *here*
><https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGMEEMIbGRoZXtdvdWxjSj
AFJrWlo3WG6w4X8NT37iPVP98A/viewform?usp=sf_link>