From: "David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 08:14:14 -0500

If we turn the clock back, way back, in Philadelphia and go to 9th Street
between Market and Chestnut, surrounded by the Gimbels Department Store,
was Leary's Book Store.  We can see a much different way of marketing and
selling books. All transactions on the selling floor were actually by the
accounting department which received and returned the transacions viw
pneumatic tubes.

Google Images

https://tinyurl.com/yd4lwomj

Mixed in with lots of other irrelevant images, one can find some
interesting things here, and one can click on images of interest and go to
the link for VIEW to see the complete document the image came from.

Here is some more about this treasured place that is no more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leary%27s_book_store

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=%22Leary%27s+book+store%22

https://tinyurl.com/ycoz9me4

https://tinyurl.com/y9v7cmvn

https://tinyurl.com/y9ze63to

https://tinyurl.com/y7sx2t7u

https://tinyurl.com/y83p74tr

Leary's had everything from used magazines to rare books and if I remember
correctly, the prices of merchandise increased as the number of the floor
increased.

Four blocks away was the Wanamaker's Department Store with an
excellent book department of its own and a source of recordings as this
store has the world's only store pipe organ which is also the world'd
largest.

https://tinyurl.com/y7hh4uza

https://tinyurl.com/y77osftp

https://tinyurl.com/y77osftp

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22wanamaker%27s+organ%22

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22wanamaker%27s%22

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=%22wanamaker%27s%22

https://tinyurl.com/yb94rclj

Oh and before you leave downtown, do not forget to have a meal or a cup of
coffee at a Horn and Hardarts retaurant or automat.

https://tinyurl.com/y6wz4y46

https://tinyurl.com/y9rzo8xh

But now it is time to go to the reading terminal to take the train home.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22reading+terminal%22

OR the subway

https://tinyurl.com/yc9xrldl

Sincerely,