From: "Laughtin-Dunker, Kristin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 19:26:54 +0000

Yes, this happens to us on occasion in our discovery service, causing great
confusion for our patrons until we find a note in one of the fields for the
item record, usually near the bottom. In a few instances, the article has
been accessible by going into the database directly, just not through the
discovery service (e.g. it's available from Business Source Premier, but
not from EBSCO Discovery Service even though both products are from the
same vendor).

It's annoying, but I'm thankful it's not *too* frequent.

Kristin Laughtin-Dunker, MLIS

Coordinator of Scholarly Communications & Electronic Resources

Leatherby Libraries

Chapman University

------------------------------
From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 14:19:49 +0000

I think Tasini is an excellent analogy, since it too was fundamentally
about a failure to license works in a way that allowed publication of those
works in an aggregator.  I am frequently bemused when Tasini is cited for
the proposition that a publisher must obtain “electronic rights,” since the
copyright law does not recognize any significant differences between analog
and digital rights, except in regard to digital transmission of sound
recordings.  What matters is not that a contract or license use the phrase
“electronic rights,” but that the scope of the license is sufficient to
allow republication (rights of reproduction and distribution) according to
the terms of whatever agreements the publisher has with aggregators.  The
NY Times did not have licenses that were broad enough to allow use in
Lexis-Nexis (as it was then), with whom NYT had a contract.  The Times
tried to rely on a provision in the copyright law (201(c))that allows a
“revision” of a collective work, but the Supreme Court found that
republication in Lexis was not a revision within the meaning of the act.
No “electronic rights” *per se* here, but a reminder of the need for
careful licensing that takes account of other agreements and future
possibilities (many of which certainly will be digital).

Thanks for making a very relevant connection.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.

Dean of Libraries

University of Kansas

From: Janet Stewart <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 04:45:34 +0000

This situation sounds similar to the 2001 Tasini Decision that affected
online versions of the New York Times and other newspapers.  That decision
as many of you know prevented those newspapers from including some  free
lance articles in their online versions since those authors had not given
permission for such use.

It has affected certain years of the NYT and other papers in that I have
come across such articles that could not be found in the online versions of
the papers.  Back to the microfilm versions for those articles.   I
believe that now the papers  make sure to get that permission when
contracting with free lancers.

Janet Stewart
------------------------------

From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:18:50 +0000

Based on this limited information, this sounds like a failure of licensing,
and should not be a common occurrence.  There is no reason, in principle,
why an article for which the author retains copyright should not appear in
an aggregator database. The publisher, presumably, stands between the
author and the aggregator; they negotiate with both the author and the
aggregator. If an author wants to retain copyright, the publisher should be
negotiating a license to publish with that author that takes account of
their agreements with any aggregators.  Perhaps the author was unwilling to
allow republication in an aggregator, but it is hard to see why they would
be.  This seems like it is fundamentally the publisher’s responsibility, as
the party to both agreements.

Kevin Smith