From: David Groenewegen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:54:00 +1000

It's great that this information is being collected and made available, but
the method of doing so shows why IRs still have such a long way to go to be
useful to the academic community.

The DOI listed takes me to a metadata page where the first download option
I can see is for the citation, rather than the dataset. There is no obvious
link to the dataset on my screen, although I can see the title twice.

Once I scroll down, the first link I see (other than to Creative Commons)
is helpfully labelled "Endpoint and path to dataset", a phrase used by no
human, ever. If I click on this it takes me to a Globus log in page, in
another tab. Do most people know what this is? My institution isn't on the
list so not sure how best to log in. Not sure why I should have to. Isn't
this Open Data?

So I went back to the metadata page (couldn't use "Back" because I was in a
different tab). Under the only obvious link (that took me nowhere), there
are two headings: "submitted data" and "globus_metadata.json". They both
have the little cloud icon next to them that I have learnt takes me to
Globus and a log in I don't have. The json link also has a different
download-looking arrow next to it, but when I click on that I get a whole
bunch of unformatted text in my browser window.

So I go back again. I click on the + next to "submitted data" and I finally
see the files that I want, with file extensions I can understand. And that
I can download. That was a lot of clicking and scrolling, and frankly I
almost gave up a couple of times.

I don't want to pick on this IR in particular (although I was kind of
shocked to realise that it has only been developed in the last 2 years,
because it looks like something from 2003), because this is a pretty
typical user unfriendly experience that you get from most library systems
and IRs. Yes, sharing data is complicated, but does it have to be this
hard? If Amazon made it this tough to buy a book Jeff Bezos would still be
working out of his garage.

--
DAVID GROENEWEGEN
Director, Research