From: "Taylor, Anneliese" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 16:54:35 +0000

All, with apologies for cross-posting:

On behalf of the University of California campus libraries plus the California
Digital Library, we wish to share the below invitation for an October 16-17
working forum.  Full details below, and on our site *Choosing Pathways to
OA*, https://cp2oa18.com/.

Sincerely,

Rachael Samberg (UCB) Co-chair

Maria Gould (UCB) Co-chair

Allegra Swift (UCSD)

David Schmitt (UCSD)

Anneliese Taylor (UCSF)

Stephen Kiyoi (UCSF)

Donald Barclay (UCM)

Lisa Schiff (CDL)

Mat Willmott (CDL)

Sherri Barnes (UCSB)

Eunice Schroeder (UCSB)

John Renaud (UCI)

Mike Wolfe (UCD)

*******
The Premise:

Many within the scholarly community have been trying to achieve a
large-scale transition to open access (“OA”) to scholarly literature for
nearly twenty years. To date, only around *15% of peer-reviewed journal
articles are published in fully open-access journals*
<http://science-metrix.com/sites/default/files/science-metrix/publications/d_1.8_sm_ec_dg-rtd_proportion_oa_1996-2013_v11p.pdf>
. At this rate, realizing a full OA scholarly universe could take decades.
If we within the research community are going to accelerate progress toward
free readership for all, we must make critical choices about how we spend
our money in supporting OA publishing.

To advance data-driven decision-making on these issues, in March 2018, the
University of California (UC) libraries and the California Digital Library
released the *Pathways to Open Access*
<https://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/initiatives/scholarly-communication>
 toolkit. The *Pathways* toolkit analyzes the many approaches and
strategies for advancing the large-scale transition to OA, and identifies
possible next action steps for UC system-wide investment and
experimentation.

We also designed the *Pathways* toolkit to be a practical resource for
other institutions wrestling with the same choices. Now, we invite you to
join us in this decision-making process to create localized plans suitable
for your own institution or community.

The Call:  Participate in a two-day working forum focused on action-focused
deliberations about redirecting subscription and other funds toward
sustainable open access publishing. The Details:

*Who*:   *North American library or consortium leaders and key academic
stakeholders* are invited to substantively deliberate and develop plans for
how they will repurpose budgets and subscription spends to support a
transition to open access publishing.

The forum seeks to engage participants with relevant decision-making
responsibilities involving subscriptions, licensing, collection
development, publication policy, research funding, and other strategic
areas. This may encompass more than one individual attending on behalf of
an institution or community.

*When**:*  October 16-17, 2018

*Where**:* UC Berkeley (Berkeley, California)

*What**:* A two-day working forum that inclusively engages participants in
deliberations of OA approaches and strategies--with an eye toward
empowering local decision-making. Diverse views on pathways for
transitioning to open access are encouraged. The forum will be governed by
a public statement of diversity and inclusion spanning from the planning
process through the event itself. We are exploring ways to make portions of
the event available remotely for those unable to attend in person.

Participants will have a meaningful opportunity to:

1.     Understand actionable mechanisms and opportunities for advancing the
transition to OA

2.     Engage in facilitated, substantive exchange on the pragmatics of
each of these strategies

3.     Accelerate their own action initiatives based upon the discussions

After first-day discussions, attendees will have dedicated time to further
consider, align with, or plan for implementing various strategies, suitable
for their institutions or communities.

For a preview of the panoply of OA approaches (Green, Gold Non-APC, Gold
APC) and funding strategies that will serve as a basis for discussion and
decision-making, please see the UC Libraries’ *Pathways to OA*
<https://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/initiatives/scholarly-communication>
 toolkit
<https://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/initiatives/scholarly-communication>
.

*How much**:*

This working forum is *free *to attend. No registration fees will be
charged, and invited speaker travel and lodging will be covered by the
University of California Libraries. Attendance includes breakfast, lunch,
snacks, and one dinner.
*Additional details and a registration form are forthcoming*.

Questions in the meantime may be directed to: [log in to unmask]

Anneliese Taylor, MLIS | Assistant Director, Scholarly Communications &
Collections |

University of California, San Francisco Library |

530 Parnassus Avenue | San Francisco, CA 94143-0840 |