From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 20:06:44 -0700

The price of textbooks and the consequent burden on students is a hot topic in higher education, leading both to initiatives to expand the usage of Open Educational Resources (OERs – roughly open-access textbooks) and to experiments in different pricing models by which publishers offer e-textbooks.  One commonly discussed model is a ‘subscription’ or ‘site license’ to attain ‘inclusive access’ by charging a single price to an institution for access to all the students in a given course.  This usually leads to lower cost-per-student and (and this is what academics like) much broader access to textbooks by students where now many choose not to buy textbooks they find too expensive.

So now a publisher is facing blowback from textbook authors: