From: Richard Gottlieb <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 11:17:07 -0400

No one is forcing faculty members to do unpaid peer reviews.

Faculty/university employment practices value published reviews, for promotion and tenure decisions.

Publishers had no/minimal role in developing that process. But I acknowledge that they do benefit from it.

If, as a class faculty refused to do the unpaid work, publishers would cave and pay modest fees (as some do already), and the increased costs would be reflected in higher subscription costs.

Many, but not all, universities benefit financially from intercollegiate sports. Varying on the sport and school.
Participants benefit from personal enjoyment/fulfilment/ social benefits. Possibly discounted college expenses.  Again, no one is forcing the athletes to participate.

Eternal/Persistent victimization is getting tiresome.

Dick Gottlieb