From: leo waaijers <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 10:43:05 +0200

I agree with David. The Dutch situation is as follows.

Every year we pay 12 million Euro to Elsevier (apart from price indexing).
Until 2015, for that amount they gave us access to 2500 journals and
published 6000 articles of Dutch corresponding authors. From 2016 onwards,
they were prepared to make a limited number of these articles OA. This year
it concerns 1800 articles in 420 journals. If we want the other 4200
articles made OA as well, we have to pay an average surcharge of nearly
3000 Euro per article.

This is a bad contract of course, but at the time Dutch academia were not
prepared for a no-deal. Now we are. The contract ends this year and
negotiations are under way. Elsevier has to come up with a better offer or
meet a new member of the club of no-deal countries.

More information about the Dutch offsetting deals may be found here:
https://www.qoam.eu/Content/documents/Price-per-article.pdf

Leo Waaijers.

From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 09:31:11 +0000

A couple of comments.

Firstly, Gemma mentions the ‘journal subscription list prices’.  Data from
Elsevier shows that less than 10% of their journals revenue comes from
customers paying list prices.  Most are paying through big deals and so any
list price adjustment is irrelevant.

Secondly, a sample of 36 UK institutions showed that in 2016 they were
paying a 17% premium on top of their big deals to make UK-authored papers
OA.  The vast majority of that was for hybrid i.e., content that was
included in the big deal subscription price.

David