From: Nick Lindsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 21:05:07 +0000

Perhaps of interest to people on this list. On June 21, Amy Brand, Director of The MIT Press, announced the creation of the Knowledge Futures Group at a gathering of 50 people at the press headquarters in Cambridge, Mass.

From Publisher’s Weekly:

A joint initiative between the press and the MIT Media Lab, the group is intended to spearhead collaborative technology projects that will allow for easier and more widespread publishing and dissemination of digital scholarly and academic works.

The formation and naming of the group is a formal step for a previously loosely affiliated group of researchers, publishing professionals, and academics, many of whom have been at work on their respective projects for years.

“We’ve created this space for pure experimentation,” said MIT Press director Amy Brand, “and we’re able, in our core publishing, to take advantage of some of the things that are happening there.”

Full story: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/77357-mit-press-launches-knowledge-futures-group.html

-Nick