From: Peggy E Hoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:54:57 +0000

I would agree with many of the points offered here but feel it is important to correct this statement:
Licenses cannot trump law.

Unfortunately, licenses (a contract) can absolutely trump the law.  You can always give up or lose rights you might otherwise have under the law by contracting them away.  For example, many licenses attempt to limit the statute of limitations within which you can bring a lawsuit over some breach of the contract – the most common one I see is the statement that the SOL is to be one year – whereas your state’s SOL for contracts may be something else entirely.  Most states have a contract SOL of three years – in Louisiana it is ten years.  If we sign a contract that states the SOL is one year, then it is one year, no matter what you would otherwise have been entitled to in your state.  Some licenses attempt to have you give up your right to a jury trial.  Some licenses try to abrogate the right (sometimes it’s a common law right, in our state it is actually codified) that any ambiguities in the license are to be construed against the drafter of the agreement. There are lots of examples where – if you agree to it in the license, then it doesn’t matter what the law says.  (there are other things that are illegal/void that cannot be changed by contract)

But, for sure, you absolutely can forfeit fair use rights in a license if you’re not careful and that license will control.  ILL is a ‘right’ under copyright law in Section 108(g)(2) but if your license forbids ILL and you agree to it, that’s it – no ILL even though that is or was (before the license) a right you had under the copyright law, just like fair use.

Best,
Peggy

LSU

Peggy E. Hoon, J.D.
Director of Copyright Policy and Education
LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University
295 Middleton Library, Baton Rouge, LA  70803
office 225-578-2218 | fax 225-578-6825
lsu.edu