From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:56:15 +0000

At my institution, we have a group called the Course Material Services Team, which includes staff from the bookstore, the registrar’s office, campus printing and mail services, the library, and a couple of other areas. I serve on the team, as does our Copyright & Scholarly Communication Librarian. We’ve been working for a couple of years now on strategies to reduce textbook costs for students, and we’ve found that inclusive access is – for better or worse – a much easier sell to faculty than OERs. During the school year that just ended we had 21 courses with inclusive access arrangements – that’s not very many courses, but we calculate the total savings to students at roughly $400,000.

---

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication
Marriott Library, University of Utah
Desk: (801) 587-9989
Cell: (801) 721-1687

From: JJE Esposito <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 16:08:00 -0400

I had three separate conversations about "inclusive access" for textbooks this week, and am now wondering if there is a rising tide. For background on inclusive access, I refer you to my blog post of last year:

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2017/03/27/reduce-cost-college-textbooks/

Also look at Dominic Broadhurst's paper on this topic:

https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/en/publications/the-direct-library-supply-of-individual-textbooks-to-students--examining-the-value-proposition(3372d989-40e6-4f1d-840a-511977822b16).html

Is anybody keeping track of how many institutions are working on inclusive access programs and whether the library is involved?

Joe Esposito

--

Joseph J. Esposito
@josephjesposito