From: "Hamill, Cheryl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 04:07:51 +0000

I’ve been thinking about the relationship between the number of hybrid open
access journals with content paid for with APCs and whether it is
reasonable for the off-set benefits of APCs to flow only to institutions
whose authors have paid them.  If an APC has been paid then at least some
of the costs for production are covered regardless of the source of
funding.

Should there be some overall relationship between the volume of open access
content from a publisher and price?  Should publishers adjust their pricing
according to the quantity of APC paid open access articles?

I understand there is a significant time lag anyway in libraries being able
to claim an off-set, so perhaps a simpler metric might be preferable than
attempting to quantify the publication output of authors tied to an
institution.  As many papers have multiple authors often from multiple
institutions it must make it very difficult to even link the source of an
APC back to an institution (first named author?).

Having said all that though, I’m not aware of any way to reliably quantify
the number of papers in hybrid journals that are open access.  The metadata
doesn’t seem very reliable despite NISO KBART RP-9-2014 Section 4 Open
Access Metadata.  We’ve certainly noted many instances where clients
request document delivery from what seems to be a subscribed resource that
subsequently turns out to be open access.

I’ve been trying to determine if this is a useful thought or if I’m chasing
rainbows.  Happy to hear if this is a useful approach to bring to renewal
negotiations (claiming a global off-set for the volume of open access
content) or any other sources people may recommend.

I’ve looked through a lot of websites including the following.

cancellations-increase-in-number-open-access-solutions-remain-marginal/

https://openscience.com/the-revenue-performance-of-the-open-
access-article-publication-market-lags-behind-its-output-despite-growth/

https://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/Jisc-Monitor/APC-data-col
lection/#template

https://scholarlycommunications.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2017/08/
23/article-processing-charges-in-2016/

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/70321/1/blogs.lse.ac.uk-The%20impac
t%20of%20article%20processing%20charges%20on%20libraries%
20and%20what%20is%20being%20done%20to%20help.pdf

http://eprints.bbk.ac.uk/16403/1/offsetting-report.pdf

*Cheryl Hamill, FALIA, AALIA (CP) Health* | Head of Department

Library & Information Service for staff in EMHS and SMHS (from bases at
Fiona Stanley and Royal Perth Hospitals)

*South Metropolitan Health Service*

Ground Floor, Education Centre, Fiona Stanley Hospital

11 Robin Warren Drive, Murdoch WA 6150

Locked Bag 100, Palmyra DC, Western Australia  6961

T: (08) 6152 2465 | F: (08) 6152 8059

E: [log in to unmask]

E: [log in to unmask]

southmetropolitan.health.wa.gov.au