From: Miho Funamori <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 13:29:13 +0900

Clara, thanks for the clarification. I wholly understand that there has been much focus on the part about "researchers" publishing in these predatory journals.

I just wanted to point out that we should pay more attention about the RISK the predatory journals pose by allowing "fake research" to be published, and not just pay attention on the part "researchers" publishing in these journals.

The idea of predatory journals are not new, and we have been raising alarm for these journals starting with the Beall's list, etc. But we haven't pushed that hard because first, it is difficult to draw a clear line between predatory and ordinary journals, and second, because we were implying that these journals provide ways for weak research--preliminary results, minor research topics, research from non-western countries, research of beginning-researchers--to be published. As far as the weak research are not "fake research," it has its own benefits to be published, one for the career of the researcher, and also for the sake of research diversity. If we allow only research which appear in high-impact journals, we will miss research which might not be very sexy/attractive but which fill the gap and form the base of research and research which might not be of great interest for cutting-edge science but might be of interest of the local community. For instance, if I'm doing research which solves issues in Japan, it interests Japanese community very much, but it is very hard to convince the mostly-western-dominated peer-reviewers of high impact journals to get the article through, especially in non-STEM fields.

With the notion that predatory journals also have its benefits and also that it often times quite easy to avoid the really ill-intended predatory journals as they are quite obvious--charging high APC, not peer-reviewing, sometimes even not publishing--, I have been quite generous on the existence of predatory journals. But if they serve as a bed where "fake research" can be published which could mislead the society and also ultimately destroy the trust in academic research, I think the academic community should take control of these predatory journals.

Miho Funamori