From: Oya Rieger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM
To: ARXIV-SUPPORT-UPDATES-L <[log in to unmask]cornell.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

I’m writing to inform you that after 17 years of steady growth under Cornell University Library (CUL), arXiv will move to Cornell Computing and Information Science (CIS) in January 2019. Please see the press release.

As far as researchers and arXiv users are concerned, the stewardship transition will be seamless and unnoticeable. Although the arXiv team is currently housed at the Library, the operation is independent of the Library’s organizational, technical, and financial infrastructure. The arXiv team will maintain the same configuration and will continue to benefit from the expertise of the CUL staff, especially in the areas of metadata, copyright, and scholarly communication policies and best practices.

The engagement of member libraries in arXiv’s governance has been essential to arXiv’s success, and we will continue to strengthen the robust alliance we’ve built with our 227 library partners. The arXiv membership system is instrumental in leveraging the expertise and commitment of librarians for arXiv’s provision of an essential public infrastructure in support of open science. Member libraries will continue to participate in the arXiv’s governance through the Member Advisory Board, which provided invaluable advice to our team as we were assessing arXiv’s stewardship needs and the prospect of moving the operation to CIS.

The transition FAQ contains more information about the move. We will be holding three conference calls to talk about the transition process, open to everyone interested in arXiv: conference call schedule & sign-up  for Sept 17 noon, Sept 19 11am, Sept 25 6pm EDT

I want to thank each one of you for recognizing arXiv’s importance and significance for open science through your contributions to the service’s sustainability. We know your continuing engagement will ensure a bright future for arXiv.

Warm regards,

Oya

Oya Y. Rieger, Ph.D. | arXiv Program Director | Cornell University Library | Twitter: @OyaRieger