From: Anna Seiffert <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:25:28 +0000

Hi Jim,

Assuming you already have a longstanding relationship with the vendor, I would ask for limited access for a limited amount of time as a courtesy.   I’ve had success getting a username and password for one researcher for 60 days to a primary source collection that we couldn’t afford at the time.

Best,

Anna

Anna Seiffert, MLS

E-Resources & Collection Assessment Librarian

Library Logo

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 13:55:49 -0700

So imagine there's set of digitized newspapers out there in a database
from a commercial vendor, historical newspapers going back a couple of
hundred years, not much recent content.  Suppose it's going to cost a
library $200,000 to acquire that database.  Suppose further that the
desire to use that database comes from a *very* small base of faculty.
(You could also suppose that we bought something expensive a lot like
this a couple of years ago for a faculty recruitment, of a faculty
member who's left already.)

My question for this list is, what ways might there be for a library
to facilitate limited use of such a resource without springing for the
whole $200K?  Even just good examples of enlightened vendors who've
figured out a way to enable such usage at a reasonable, cheap, or zero
price and who could be made a praiseworthy example of would help.

With thanks,
Jim O'Donnell
Arizona State University