From: Jessica Pellien <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:50:36 +0000

Hello all –

I am writing to share exciting news – the MIT Press and the MIT Media Lab
have formally announced the launch of the Knowledge Futures Group. The KFG
is incubating new open access platforms that gather, create, and
disseminate scholarship in new ways. There are a lot of links to explore
the current initiatives we are supporting in the press release below or you
can read online at the MIT Press website.
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/blog/mit-press-and-mit-media-lab-launch-knowledge-futures-group>

Thank you for reading,

Jessica

Jessica Pellien

Executive Publicist and Communications Manager

The MIT Press

1 Rogers Street

Cambridge, MA 02142

cell – 857-998-1893

The MIT Press and the MIT Media Lab Launch the Knowledge Futures Group

*Leveraging the web’s power to create open, community-sourced access to
knowledge*

The MIT Press announced today the launch of the Knowledge Futures Group
(KFG) <https://mitpress.mit.edu/kfg>, a first-of-its kind collaboration
between a leading publisher and a world-class academic lab to transform how
research information is created and shared.

This joint initiative of the MIT Press and the MIT Media Lab seeks to
redefine research publishing from a closed, sequential process, into an
open, community-driven one. The goal is to develop and deploy technologies
that form part of a new open knowledge ecosystem, one that fully exploits
the capabilities of the Web to accelerate discovery and the transmission of
knowledge.

The effort has thus far received $1.5 million for its initial year of
operation, through the generous support of Reid Hoffman, co-founder of
LinkedIn and a member of the MIT Media Lab’s Advisory Council; smaller
project-specific gifts from Siegel Family Endowment, the John S. and James
L. Knight Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and Protocol Labs;
and several individual donors.

“I am supporting this effort because I believe our future depends on how
effectively we can combat the spread of misinformation and democratize
access to trustworthy, verifiable sources of information,” says Hoffman.
“It is imperative that we must move quickly toward a more open system of
knowledge creation and sharing.”

Several months ago, Media Lab Director Joi Ito, and MIT Press Director Amy
Brand, began exploring the creation of an incubator at MIT for tools and
technologies that enable a more open model of research. “We’ve created this
space for pure experimentation,” said Brand, “and we’ve already seen the
benefits of sharing ideas between our core publishing groups and the KFG in
innovative projects like Frankenbook <https://www.frankenbook.org>, JoDS
<https://jods.mitpress.mit.edu/>, and our Works in Progress Open Access
book community <https://bookbook.pubpub.org/>. We believe these examples
are just the beginning of what will come from continued testing,
development, and cross-collaboration.”

According to Ito, who is also a member of the MIT Press Management Board,
“Our publishing models need to get better at aligning academic incentives
with societally beneficial outcomes. We’d also like to serve as a model for
others of what institutional ownership of this essential infrastructure
looks like and how it can succeed at amplifying the impact of investment in
basic research.”

“Promoting the efficient and equitable dissemination of research
information has never been more urgent,” said Terry Ehling, director of
strategic initiatives at the MIT Press, who also serves as managing
director of the Knowledge Futures Group. “The Press is in a unique position
among mission-driven publishers to take a disciplined and transparent
approach to open collaboration and experimentation.”

One of the KFG’s first projects is PubPub <https://www.pubpub.org/>, an
open authoring and publishing platform developed by Travis Rich and Thariq
Shihipar while they were graduate students at the Media Lab. The platform
socializes the process of knowledge creation by integrating conversation,
annotation, and versioning into a digital publication. The KFG is also
incubating the Underlay <https://underlay.mit.edu/>, an open, distributed
knowledge store conceived by Danny Hillis and Sam Klein, and being
developed with Joel Gustafson. The Underlay is architected to capture,
connect, and archive publicly available knowledge and its provenance.

The initiative will be based in close proximity to both the MIT Media Lab
and MIT Press at the Cambridge Innovation Center in Kendall Square.

*About the MIT Press*

The MIT Press is a leading publisher of books and journals at the
intersection of science, technology, and the arts. Since its founding in
1962, the MIT Press has been changing the rules of engagement between
academic authors and their readers. Reflecting and amplifying the values of
an educational institution that places a premium on experimentation,
invention, and open information access, the MIT Press was one of the first
publishers to exploit the potential of the internet and has influenced the
development of new interdisciplinary fields.

mitpress.mit.edu

*About the Media Lab*

The MIT Media Lab is an antidisciplinary research lab that encourages the
unconventional mixing and matching of seemingly disparate research areas.

For over 30 years, Media Lab researchers have anticipated and created
technologies to make our lives safer, cleaner, healthier, fairer, and more
productive. The Media Lab’s research leverages the best that technology has
to offer and connects technology back to the social and the human. Current
research at the Lab examines the deeper implications of where technology
creation and adoption has led us—and where we want to go next.

media.mit.edu