From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:13:27 -0400

The whole recent debate about academic freedom is related to Plan S
emanating from Europe.

It should be noted, in this regard, that Plan S does not say anything about
where people should publish. In effect, it simply says that they will not
take articles published in hybrid journals into consideration in the
subsequent round of grant selections. Authors can publish where they want.
They only have to calculate the consequences with some funding agencies.

And if people are so exercised about this hybrid-journal exclusion, how
about military or industry-financed research in the universities that
usually contain constraints on publishing at all?

Jean-Claude Guédon