From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 22:45:08 +0000

Jim, what do you think are the strongest arguments that Tennant and Brembs make in their complaint?

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:18:48 -0700

Here is a good source for the formal complaint filed on 26 October regarding RELX and the wider scholarly publishing market to the EU competition authority.  Full text (22pp) PDF available -- https://zenodo.org/record/1472045#.W9iP5hNKjOR   (My thanks to Gary Price's invaluable infoDOCKET for the link.)

The complaint is partisan, no question, but represents to my eye a serious and coherent attempt to make the case for why big journal publishing can be interpreted as importantly marked by anti-competitive practices.  The complaint is short, but not negligible, on practical remedies (pp. 20-21).  In an environment where rhetoric and posturing often prevail in discussions of the topic, this one was refreshing.  I hope that the respondents to this complaint can answer publicly with equal coherence and intelligence.

Jim O'Donnell

Arizona State University