From: Dominic Broadhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 08:03:16 +0000

Hello

I have been following the work OhioLINK project with interest not least in
that I firmly and passionately believe in the validity the main tenet of
the argument *“that librarians can play a large role in negotiating
arrangements with the large college publishers”*

This has benefits for the library but more importantly for our students and
our teaching faculty.  This has driven the work at a number of UK
university libraries where these negotiations and subsequent supply have
taken place in recent years.

This is not to say that Open textbooks and wider OER provision does not
have a potential important role to play or indeed that it has many merits,
but it is not there yet on a number of levels and we need to deal with the
here and now, where both the demand for textbooks from our students is
great and the pedagogical options digital textbooks offer can act as
tangible symbol of our central role in teaching & learning at our
institutions.

I look forward to seeing and reading about further developments from our
American cousins in this area.   I believe that the more libraries engage
directly in this area the more we will be able to both leverage price and
product discussions.

Best wishes

Dominic

Dominic Broadhurst|Academic Engagement Manager|University of Manchester
Library|University of Manchester|email: [log in to unmask]
|tel: 0161 275 6499

[image: View-my-LinkedIn-profile-from-The-Linked-In-Man]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/dominic-broadhurst-0107567/>

*ORCID <http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8275-7688> ID*

*Read my recent journal article *

The direct library supply of individual textbooks to students: examining
the value proposition

https://doi.org/10.1108/ILS-07-2017-0072

From: JJE Esposito <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:59:09 -0400

Gwen Evans, the Executive Director of OhioLINK, has a guest post on the
Scholarly Kitchen concerning the role of libraries in provisioning
lower-priced textbooks to college students. This is a two-part post; the
second part will be published Wednesday. The argument is that librarians
can play a large role in negotiating arrangements with the large college
publishers. The OhioLINK project has already produced tangible results to a
very grateful group of undergraduates across the state.  Disclosure:
OhioLINK is a client and our group advised on this project. Here is the
link:

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2018/10/30/affordable-learning-requires-a-diverse-approach-part-1-playing-the-short-game-and-the-long-one-to-secure-savings-for-students/?informz=1

Joe Esposito

--