From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 02:10:25 +0000

So “all present controversies” about publishing in journals arise from the
prevalence of citation-based usage factors? They don’t arise from questions
about access or reuse? (As a signatory to the Berlin Declaration, I would
have thought that you saw access and reuse issues as very important—and
maybe even central—to the controversies around scholarly publishing.)

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687

From: "Guédon Jean-Claude" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 06:58:22 +0000

Rick makes an interesting point: "In any case, I can’t see how the innocent
monopoly that I hold over the market for my article suddenly becomes
nefarious when I transfer my copyright to a publisher".

The shift from the author to the publisher transforms a market of ideas and
facts (an article or a monograph) into a market of journals ranked by their
citability. This is the legerdemain - pardon my French - which lies at the
heart of all the present controversies. It is the legerdemain that makes
journal title marketability pass for quality.

This way of constructing the journal market was not always there. Journals
used to have "reputations" which were fuzzy at best. They were important to
some extent, but no one wanted to rank journals on a strictly quantitative
basis as is the case nowadays. However, by conflating citability and
quality, a number of publishers began to understand that this allowed for
the creation of a favourable market structure. The role of the science
citation index in helping shape this new market form can never be
overestimated.

So, to go back to Rick's question, the nefarious nature of the transfer
lies precisely in all the transformations that this very transfer allows:
it contaminates a "market" of ideas  (with symbolic capital) into a
commercial market with usual capital. The rankings are the conversion tools
from one form of capital to the other. And the consequences are the things
that Bjoern Brembs objects to (and has objected to for a long time).

In a nutshell, this is THE problem of scholarly publishing since the 70s.

Jean-Claude Guédon

PS Regarding quality, it is very, very probable that a high-quality journal
will reject a large proportion of submissions; however, invoking a high
level of rejections does not guarantee quality. Rejections can be motivated
by a whole range of factors, all relevant to the perspective of an editor
engaged in ranking contests.

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:07:26 +0000

But if I understand the case law that has followed from the Sherman Act, a
monopoly doesn’t lose its innocence by virtue of mere market dominance; it
loses its innocence when it arises from businesses engaging in a
“combination... or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce.” (The
quote is from Section 3 of the Sherman Act, the full text of which can be
found at https://tinyurl.com/ycvnagfg, for those interested.) As far as I
can see—and please, if I’ve missed something in the complaint please
correct me—no one is accusing Elsevier of conspiring with any other
business in order to undermine competition in the market.

Tennant’s and Brembs’ real complaint seems to be against scholarly
publishing itself, which (they correctly point out) is not a market of
substitutes. But that’s not the fault of Elsevier or of anyone else; it
arises from the simple fact that what scholarship produces are more-or-less
unique documents: generally speaking, no two biology or sociology or
physics articles are similar enough in content that one of them could
functionally substitute for the other—if they were, we would strongly
suspect one of the authors of plagiarism. This means that monopoly control
of the market for any individual product of scholarship is inevitable and
will always rest with its copyright holder (in the form of an “innocent
monopoly,” as you point out, Kevin). Unless, of course, the copyright is
broken—either literally (by the work being placed in the public domain) or
functionally (by the work being licensed to the public under CC BY or its
equivalent).

In any case, I can’t see how the innocent monopoly that I hold over the
market for my article suddenly becomes nefarious when I transfer my
copyright to a publisher—let alone how it becomes uniquely nefarious when
transferred to Elsevier in particular. In neither case is there any
conspiracy between putative competitors for the purpose of exerting illegal
control over a market.

---

From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 19:19:49 +0000
I am not an anti-trust expert by any means, but I think the answer to this,
and to the same question posed by Rick, is straightforward. The limited
monopoly held by individual authors is not a problem — it is an “innocent”
monopoly, just like my exclusive rights over by house — because it does not
convey market dominance.  The monopolist problem the complaint outlines is
quite different, where a large conglomeration of monopolies over content
are exercised in order to dominate a market and to exclude competition. The
line that is allegedly crossed has to be define within the terms of a
particular market, of course, which is precisely what competition
authorities are charged to do.

Kevin

On Nov 4, 2018, at 12:47 PM, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]<mailto: