From: Katie Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 19:54:58 +0000

Hello!

(apologies for cross-posting)

I’m pleased to announce that MIT Libraries will be offering CopyrightX: Libraries in 2019.  Please share this information with anyone who may be interested:

What is CopyrightX: Libraries?

·        CopyrightX: Libraries is an affiliate course of CopyrightX which is hosted by the MIT Libraries, and is open to library, archives, and museum staff everywhere.  Participants will learn the essentials of US copyright law, theory, and practice with an emphasis on issues relevant to cultural institutions, alongside a cohort of professional colleagues.  It is an entirely online 12-week course comprising pre-recorded lectures, readings, and weekly seminars.

What sort of time commitment should I expect?

·        The class runs for 12 weeks from February through early May.  Each week, participants will watch an 80-minute recorded lecture, read the assigned material, and attend a 90-minute synchronous discussion section conducted via audio and text chat.  The average total time commitment over the 12 week course is ~ 5 hours/week.  After the 12 week course there is an intensive law-school style exam, which takes the average student ~10 hours over a four-day period.  To obtain a certificate of completion, participants must both pass the exam and attend at least 10 of the 12 weekly discussion sections.

When will it be?

·        Synchronous online seminars will meet from 10 am - 11:30 am EST/EDT (15:00 - 16:30 UTC prior to March 10th, 14:00 – 15:30 UTC after March 10th) on Fridays beginning February 1, 2019. We will not meet during the week of March 18, 2019. The final exam for the course will be administered for a 96-hour period beginning on May 1.

Who will be in the class?

·        Since MIT is hosting and supporting the course, up to five seats are being held for MIT Libraries staff.  The remaining ~20 participants will be library, archives, and museum staff from anywhere in the world who choose to apply.  The aim is to get a diverse group of people from a wide range of backgrounds who share an interest in copyright as it applies to cultural institutions.

How do I apply?

·        Fill out the application form here: https://goo.gl/forms/inq64J5Uw6BMp9XB3 by Dec. 15, 2018.

What if I have more questions?

·        Email the course instructor, Katie Zimmerman, at [log in to unmask].

Thank you, and I hope to see some of you there!

Katie

Katie Zimmerman, JD, MLIS  (pronouns: she/her)

Scholarly Communications and Licensing Librarian

MIT Libraries

[log in to unmask] | NE36-6101 | 617.324.4871