From: Benjamin Maverick Turley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 20:58:05 +0000

The Place of Manuscript Management Systems in a Consolidating Marketplace

Virtual Half-Day Workshop

November 16, 2018
11:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT

Meet the presenters:

Keith Collier, Managing Director, Publisher Services Web of Science GroupClarivate

Alison O'ConnellCommunity Development ManagerCollaborative Knowledge Foundation

Gregory J. GordonManaging Director of SSRN & SVP Content Lifecycle ManagementElsevier

Strategic changes in the marketplace-such as Clarivate's acquisions of Publons and Kopernio, and Elsevier's acquisions of Mendeley, SSRN, Aries Press, and bepress-are creating seamless workflows for researchers. Others, like the Collaborative Knowledge Foundation, are developing an open source system with tools that empower researchers and strive to end dependencies on big publishing companies. Some see these initiatives as smart and decisive opportunities to expand tools that support researchers. Others are more skeptical, believing it could create an environment from which researchers will be unable to escape and smaller publishers will perish.

Join NFAIS on Friday, November 16, 2018 for an in-depth discussion of these growing opportunities and how the competitive landscape is projected to evolve in the coming years.

Moderated by Roger Schonfeld, Director of Ithaka S+R Libraries and Scholarly Communications Program, this workshop brings together three "change agents" who are creating new opportunities in the scholarship communication industry.  These change agents will discuss the strategy of what these acquisitions mean and what their desired outcomes will be. Next, our panelists will face industry thought-leaders David Worlock and Lisa Hinchliffe, as well as our virtual audience, as we ask the hard questions and debate the pros and cons of these initiatives and their potential impact on the future of scholarly communications.

For more information, please visit: https://www.nfais.org/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=72&eventId=550016&orgId=nfais&recurringId=0