From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:49:17 +0000

> There's nothing intrinsically illegal about a cartel.

Fair enough; I’ll rephrase the question: What cartel are you referring to?
Which publishers are forming cartels?

> Can you point to purchasers of "big deal" packages other than
academic/research libraries?

No. But since a monopsony is a situation in which there’s only one buyer,
and academic/research libraries constitute thousands of individual buyers,
I don’t see where the monopsony exists.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687

From: Adam Siegel <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 19:41:53 +0000

Hi Rick,

There's nothing intrinsically illegal about a cartel.

Can you point to purchasers of "big deal" packages other than
academic/research libraries?

Adam

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 02:17:26 +0000

Adam, what cartel are you referring to? Are publishers colluding with each
other to exert illegal control over a market?

Also, what monopsony are you referring to? A monopsony is a situation in
which there’s only one buyer for a product. I can’t think of any publisher
that is in such a position.

---

From: Adam Siegel <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 00:44:34 +0000

And rather than monopoly, we should be looking at a cartel's ability to
exploit a monopsony.

Adam Siegel
Business, Economics, and Agricultural and Resource Economics Librarian
University Library
University of California, Davis
Davis  CA  95616
http://people.lib.ucdavis.edu/~apsiegel/