From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:58:01 +0000

Extract from a guest post by Marc Couture:

*The announcement of Plan S has generated many much needed (and much
heated) discussions. I’m pleased to observe that these don’t concern the
relevance of open access, whose wide-ranging benefits now seem to be almost
universally acknowledged, but only potentially negative side-effects of the
massive, if not global, shift to open access that the plan hopes to bring
about.*

*Though many aspects of the plan are somewhat unclear, and most details of
its implementation are still being drafted, what we do know already raises
various worries. One is a possible conflict with academic freedom.*

*Two requirements of the plan are specifically targeted: (1) publication
only in compliant journals (full OA, no hybrid) and (2) dissemination under
a licence compliant with the Berlin OA definition, which would require
authors to accept ceding generous usage rights in their works to others.*

The post can be read here:

https://poynder.blogspot.com/2018/11/plan-s-and-researchers-rights-reframing.html

--
Richard Poynder