From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:58:01 +0000

Extract from a guest post by Marc Couture:

The announcement of Plan S has generated many much needed (and much heated) discussions. I’m pleased to observe that these don’t concern the relevance of open access, whose wide-ranging benefits now seem to be almost universally acknowledged, but only potentially negative side-effects of the massive, if not global, shift to open access that the plan hopes to bring about.

Though many aspects of the plan are somewhat unclear, and most details of its implementation are still being drafted, what we do know already raises various worries. One is a possible conflict with academic freedom.

Two requirements of the plan are specifically targeted: (1) publication only in compliant journals (full OA, no hybrid) and (2) dissemination under a licence compliant with the Berlin OA definition, which would require authors to accept ceding generous usage rights in their works to others.

The post can be read here:

https://poynder.blogspot.com/2018/11/plan-s-and-researchers-rights-reframing.html

--
Richard Poynder