From: Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 20:01:24 +0100

Let me just say that legality is not necessarily a good guide for morality. Plenty of things were legal historically, later to be seen as immoral. Or as unsustainably classed as illegal. The millions of downloads from Sci-Hub may at one point be seen as millions of 'votes' for the approach of making scientific knowledge freely available to everyone. Civil disobedience now; the norm later.

It should be noted that genuine open access articles don't need Sci-Hub for anything other than the convenience of finding articles all in one place and to easily download them, for that is also something Sci-Hub offers, even to those whose libraries have licences to subscription journals with all different and sometimes difficult to navigate web interfaces.

Jan Velterop