From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:36:03 -0500

Thoughtful piece here:

https://editorresources.taylorandfrancis.com/peersupport/coalition-s-plan-s-and-accelerating-oa/

A few highlights include:

"Estimates across the scholarly publishing landscape are that the Plan S signatories represent around 5% of global research output. Whilst the group is important and influential we do have to consider their requirements in this context, and not neglect our obligation to other stakeholders. This percentage figure is much higher for certain journals and communities. In some cases, this will help us to make a sustainable transition of these journals to a fully open access model, as the needs of the community change. However, the list also covers other journals that could not successfully transition to a model based around payment linked to publication not readership. These journals are often highly regarded, smaller, society owned journals, often in humanities and social sciences disciplines, that serve as the voice of their communities. All of our journals publish work from a global audience, from countries that are progressing towards open access at very different speeds and often have differing views around the most effective means to disseminate knowledge. We have to take these differing needs into account when considering how best to serve these communities."

"That said, we have some reservations around Plan S and its related implementation guidance, many of which may be clarified once more detail is provided. We have serious concerns about its impact on investment levels, academic independence, and the power, reach and competitiveness of academic research. We would point to the growth of open access in the UK as an example of how cross stakeholder collaboration could help to achieve cOAltion S’s goals (following the 2012 report on open access by the working group chaired by Janet Finch, the UK has seen a growth in OA that outstrips global averages)."

"As a large publisher, we will be able to weather the effects of Plan S more effectively than some smaller publishers, which has been pointed out in various blog posts on the issue. The point around engagement in transformative agreements has for example emerged as an area where smaller publishers will need to play catch up.

####