From: Corey Seeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 21:34:18 -0500

Hi Marian -

I hope this finds you well.

Harvard Business Publishing sees no distinction between the Harvard cases or the Harvard Business Review articles in access.  It is expected that when assigned for a class, each of these will require a payment.   We pay the same thing for either if they are assigned for a class.  We have a unique approach at Kresge Library Services (the business library unit at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan) where we manage the course materials operation.  While we claim fair use when we can, we do not claim fair use for any Harvard publication.  This is the addendum to each Harvard document on Business Source Complete:

Harvard Business Review Notice of Use Restrictions, May 2009
Harvard Business Review and Harvard Business Publishing Newsletter content on EBSCOhost is licensed for the private individual use of authorized EBSCOhost users. It is not intended for use as assigned course material in academic institutions nor as corporate learning or training materials in businesses. Academic licensees may not use this content in electronic reserves, electronic course packs, persistent linking from syllabi or by any other means of incorporating the content into course resources. Business licensees may not host this content on learning management systems or use persistent linking or other means to incorporate the content into learning management systems. Harvard Business Publishing will be pleased to grant permission to make this content available through such means. For rates and permission, contact [log in to unmask]

--end--

So even though we can see the Harvard Business Review articles in Business Source Complete (EBSCO) - they are not licensed for classroom use.  The cases are not available in any database.

Our course materials program is a student pay, so we calculate each class based on the submitted reading and they pay the licensing fees.  It is hosted on Study.Net and students typically pay either directly (with a credit card) or as a course fee.  The reason I bring this up is because we have an enterprise license for the Ross School and Harvard.  The way this works is that we pay for this from the money that students pay us for the content.  This is an easier way for us to manage the course readings from Harvard that our faculty are selecting.  The license is somewhat odd is that the amount is based on the previous year's usage.  We have had it go down and go up (mostly as the school population changes).

While business librarians and others have complained about this policy, the school has to pay the license fee if they are going to use these documents in class.  The charge is based on the number of students in the class.

There are alternative case collections (from Sage and Emerald and others) that can be purchased and used repeated at no added license cost.  But for this to be useful, the business faculty have to use them.  This could be a good alternative if the faculty see them as being tools they want to use in the classroom.

I would be happy to talk about what we do at Kresge.

Best - Corey

Corey Seeman

Director, Kresge Library Services (http://www.bus.umich.edu/kresgelibrary/)
Stephen M. Ross School of Business