From: T Scott Plutchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:27:50 -0600

I’m reminded of the time some years ago when a colleague made a motion during the Medical Library Association business meeting that MLA stop allowing publishers with unacceptably high margins to exhibit at the annual meeting.  When queried about what an acceptable threshold might be, there was no clear answer.  Marty Frank (formerly with the American Physiological Society) mentioned one time in a presentation that the APS bylaws specified that the journals program recover a certain surplus – I think it was 8%.  This was then used to help fund some of the various other educational activities the Society engaged in.  Of course, for some of my librarian colleagues, even that amount is too high.  But that’s an emotional argument, not an economic one.

T Scott Plutchak
Librarian
Epistemologist
Birmingham, Alabama