From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 02:24:49 +0000

Joe, I’m not saying that in general, people never misrepresent their views or their behavior. I’m saying that in the particular case of researchers reporting on why they choose particular journals, I would need to see evidence for the proposition that either a) they don’t actually know or b) they do know but they’re performatively dissembling in some way.

I’m absolutely open to seeing such evidence, but I’m not trusting enough to just take that assertion as given and thereby discount or dismiss the survey results.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687

From: JJE Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 21:10:40 -0400

You are all too trusting, Rick.  Did you see that recent survey that claimed that 45% of college students go hungry? Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/nyregion/hunger-college-food-insecurity.html

Mind you, this is in a nation where the biggest health problem is obesity.

I know it's cheating, but this exchange makes me think of the famous, and perhaps apocryphal, quotation attributed to Henry Ford:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Joe Esposito

https://sr.ithaka.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SR-Report-US-Faculty-Survey-2018-04122019.pdf.